Monday, February 27, 2006

Chilly Hilly Fixie Style

Well now...

I thought I was going to get my Raleigh all built up as a fixie prior to the Chilly Hilly ride. Unfortunately I was denied. It turns out that the Brits at Raleigh did their own crazy proprietary fabrication on bottom brackets. So, I assaulted the Chilly Hilly on the Peugeot fixed gear. My friend Chris and I ended up riding a metric century with the Chilly Hilly route comprising the middle 32 miles of our ride which included 2700 feet of climbing (and descending).

We had a great day - slightly overcast, but no rain until the ride from the ferry dock back to Sea-Tac. And a great crew - about 12 riders, 2 others on single speeds, one pulling his son and many more friends and family on multi speed bikes. Everybody had a great time.

Now having completed the metric century we are confident that a full century, fixed gear style, is in our future. Stay tuned, that may end up being the March Century for 2006.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of riding Chilly Hilly this year on my fixie and wondering how Baker Hill or any of the other hills for that matter were.

I'm pretty good on hills and have been riding around Seattle, but was curious what the steepest grade hill on Chilly Hilly would compare to with a specific Seattle hill.

Thanks for any info!